SYLVIE DAKOTA HUHN
Artist and Librarian
Master of Library Science and Information Management
Concentration in Archive Studies 2016
Emporia State University, School of Library and Information Management, Distance Learning Program – Portland, OR
Bachelor of Art (with Honors)
Concentration in Painting 2012
Humboldt State University – Arcata, CA
Concordia University – 2811 NE Holman St, Portland, OR 97211
May 2017 – present
Provides cataloging of library, institutional repository, law library and archival materials. Performs traditional and electronic reference for students. Serves as liaison for special collections and community outreach. Maintains the library’s archives and special collections.
Reference Librarian & Public Services Lead
Mt. Hood Community College – 26000 SE Stark St, Gresham, OR 97030
May 2016 – present
Responsible for facilitating the operations of the Public Services desk and the daily check-in, processing and filing of the circulating and reserve collections. Provides reference and customer service support for patrons. Performs instruction and research for students at the library reference desk. Collaborates with student workers while providing supervision.
Archives Student Assistant
City of Portland Archives and Record Center – 1800 SW 6th Ave, Portland, OR 97201
Oct 2014 – July 2016
Primary duties involve supporting the Research Room and archivists by greeting patrons at the door and providing registration forms and retrieving records or microfilm from the stacks based on location and accession number. Reference copies and Low Res Scans are made of materials per request. Simultaneous activities consist of processing the city’s archival collections: rehousing, labeling, organizing based on chronology and original order, and transcription of records.
Student Assistant, Historical Collections & Archives
Oregon Health & Science University Library – 3181 S.W. Sam Jackson Park Rd. Portland, OR 97239
Nov 2014 – May 2016
Reports to the University Archivist and provides support for reference activities and collection administration. Surveys, indexes and processes a wide variety of materials including books, photographs and manuscript materials. Combined multiple indices of a collection with hundreds of accessions and produced a single, searchable index in Excel for HC&A’s Medical Museum. Created a finding aid for an expansive collection of photographs. Performs basic preservation tasks on incoming collections and as part of processing. Curated and installed an exhibit at the OHSU Library using artifacts and scanned prints from HC&A’s collections.
Library Student Assistant III
UO Portland Library and Learning Commons – 70 NW Couch St, Portland, OR, 97209
Sept 2014 – May 2016
Responsibilities include checking in and out library items to patrons, processing Summit items, updating and creating item records in library software, retrieving items from stacks, receiving and sending item shipments, arranging themed displays, updating staff blog, answering questions and referring grievances to head librarian.
- Customer Service
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Outlook
- Alma and Primo
- OCLC Connexion
- HP Records Manager
- Archivist’s Toolkit
- Design and Illustration
- Portland Emerging Archivists (PEA) – member
- Northwest Archivists, Inc – member
- Recipient of the NWA At Large Student Scholarship – March 2016
- Poster session participant at the 2016 Northwest Archivists Conference in Seattle, WA
- Special Libraries Association/ ORSLA – member
- Gretchen Leslie Memorial Scholarship Fund awardee
- London, UK: Spring 2016 – Emporia State University, School of Library and Information Management, Course LI860XI
- Studied libraries, archives, special collections and multicultural services for 10 intensive days
- Paris, France: Spring 2008 – American Institute For Foreign Study, Santa Rosa Junior College
- Semester abroad for three months (February through May). General education courses in art history, fine art drawing, modern European history and government.
– Featured Artist, Community Market, Sebastopol, CA
– Featured Artist, Gaia’s Garden, Santa Rosa, CA
– Remove Completely: paintings of the awkward and ephemeral by Sylvie Dakota Huhn,
Karshner Lounge Gallery, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA
– The Nervous System: Rachel Mulder & Sylvie Dakota Huhn, Bare Bones Cafe, Portland, OR
–The Mnemonic Whale, Working Library, Portland, OR
– Funeral for Old Portland, AFRU Gallery, Portland, OR
– Mix It Up, Occidental Center for the Arts Gallery, Occidental, CA
– Sweet and Seedy, Big Umbrella Studios, San Francisco, CA
– Earth, Wind and Fire, Occidental Center for the Arts Gallery, Occidental, CA
– November Group Art Show, Lifvendahl Fine Art Gallery, Guerneville, CA
– 2012 Annual Juried Student Exhibition (Arthur Gonzalez, Juror), Reese Bullen Gallery, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA
– Senior Art Show, Karshner Lounge Gallery, Humboldt State University
– Honor’s Collective, Foyer Gallery, Humboldt State University
– Dragon Summer: alumni artists emerging from Humboldt State University, First Street Gallery, Eureka, CA
– 2011 Annual Juried Student Exhibition (Jon Rajkovich, Juror), Reese Bullen Gallery, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA
– E2 8th Annual Invitational, Empire Squared Gallery, Eureka, CA
– Hog Wild!, Karshner Lounge Gallery, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA
– Empire Squared 8th Annual Card Show, Humboldt Carpet Showroom, Eureka, CA
– Art3 Fundraiser, Reese Bullen Gallery, Humboldt State University, Arcata, CA
2013 – 14
– Artist’s Studio Assistant for Jenny Honnert Abell, Santa Rosa, CA
– HSU Art Department’s 205 Painting Award
– Painting Award – Senior Art Show
– Animal-themed Painting Award – Hog Wild! Show
– Martin Wong Scholarship for Painting
Humboldt State University. Art Department Brochure. Arcata: Humboldt State University, 2011. (Image of artwork published).
“Arts! Arcata.” North Coast Journal 9 Feb. 2012: p. 23.
Sylvie Dakota Huhn: “Remove Completely” Dir. Eva Rismanforoush. Documentary. Humboldt State University Production, 2012. DVD.
“Arts! Alive.” North Coast Journal 5 Jul. 2012: p. 27
“Sylvie Dakota Huhn.” First Street Gallery Artist Profile. First Street Gallery, 2012. Web. <http://www.humboldt.edu/first/exhibitions/2012/dragon/huhn.html>.