Mnemonic Whale’s fix-up – pt. 1

mnenomic whale pt

The front and left side of the Mnemonic Whale is completed. For the left end, I added/modified a few tiny paintings I did years ago to the top + silicone, wood glue, gold and red ink. On the front, I sanded down the edges of the doors so they closed completely and I outlined the whale carving in gold ink. Now all it needs is the top layer, right end card catalog drawers, and proper innards (more about that soon).

The Mnemonic Whale’s next phase (a plan)

News: The Mnemonic Whale is ready for its next manifestation (whether I am, remains to be seen). I invested in getting the print custom-framed at Luke’s Frameshop to protect it from getting torn further by the cat, but also so I could mount it on top of the shelf.

My goal is to modify a wooden file box I found for free at a garage giveaway by cutting out mini drawers to hold index cards. A recent book I picked up inspired me to try my hand at a card catalog (more on this in later blog posts). The file slots of the box are still up for debate with purpose, but I’m thinking of documents. The box would be attached at the right-facing end of the whale, while a couple small paintings will adorn the left-facing end.

My long (probably remaining life-long) goal is to eventually fill each LOC section of the whale with a book I make. One of the doors may even hold a tiny video and sound display. These are all just ideas that are swimming in my head at the moment of course. But I would truly love to bring them to fruition someday soon.

April the Giraffe (waiting for that birth)

April the Giraffe (waiting for that birth)

roughly 23.5 x 7.5 inches

mixed media on canvas

 

A tiny rendition of the abandoned Club 21 (which I’ve never been to) is in the upper right side. I am so ready to be done with this painting.